Monday, March 4, 2013

Shares: How to pick them; with a safety device.


Shares, I can do that.

I've been dealing on the stock market for 13 years, nothing big at the beginning, to scared I suppose.
I'd popped into the local supermarket, with my wife, for a few things on the way home. Now as we know when we men go to the supermarket were in and out in 5 minutes; but the girls start picking things up and looking at them, like budgie seed when we don't even have a budgie, you know what their like.
So I ended up perusing the magazine stand where I happen to pick up the Investors Chronicle (a share magazine). Just flicking through the pages fell open at an article that read:
'A Private Investor is in a much better position to make money than a fund manager'.
I knew nothing about shares but I kind of had an idea what a fund manager was.
I read a few paragraphs, it was interesting so I bought the magazine, read the magazine, bought a book that was recommended in the magazine, half read the book, opened an 'Execution Only Account' with a broker and thought I'm ready.

To get to the point

All I'm saying is it works for me.

I'm going to put a number of shares through a number of sieves/screens/tests, call them what you will. We'll use a spreadsheet with each column having a screen as a heading, information about the share will be entered under the headings then given a score; each score of the 25 screens will be added up to give a total.
The best thing that can happen here is for you to get involved.
Even if you've never had anything to do with shares but always thought you'd like to try; there's no money involved so there's nothing to loos; pick three, just to see which comes out on top.
If you have dabbled in shares may be you'd like to add a screen, just stick in what you'd like to see, want to know, or do, in the comments capsule at the bottom.

It will be over a number of Hubs to introduce you to the 25 screens we have at the moment. If you wanted to introduce an other it could be more.

Just three screens

 
Debt
Cash
Directors Buying
Total Points
Share No 1
2m
0.2 m
yes
 
Points
0
0.2
10
10.2
Share No 2
1.5m
0
no
 
 
0
0
0
0
Share No 3
0
3m
yes
 
 
10
3
10
23
You don't have to think, once you've filled in the information which is all on the internet, unlike when I started.

Never Fall Out with Your Neighbours

I had my first share picked well before I opened the broker account, I bought 300 which cost around £150.00 with trading fees.
The only thing I had then to monitor my progress with any degree of consistency was teletext; not knowing it only updated three times a day, I was looking at the T.V. every five minutes.
I remember so clearly the shares went down 1p. I felt as sick as a dog, oh no what had I done, the wife will kill me!
A few months down the line the shares had gone up and I was £50.00 in the black, but the same feeling came over me again. This is it, should I sell! What should I do! How do I sell, I only new how to buy; I forgot to look into selling.
I sold making £52.00, I felt like a millionaire, I'd done it, made money on the stock market, but I was drained.
The internet started gaining ground around 1995 and personal computers were doubling in sales; every year; it was 1999 a couple of years before the 'The Dotcom Crash'. I happen to mention my fantastic profit to my then next door neighbour, who at that time worked as a computer systems programmer. He told me to look out for a company called ARM Holding who make computer chips. Over a period of time and growing in knowledge I bought in and out of ARM Holding until I had amassed 8000 shares.
I have to admit what happened next was definitely unforeseen with no skill on my part and don't forget it wasn't even me who came up with ARM Holdings. The shares rose over a period of two weeks from around £5.00 to £49.00, I sold at £48.45.

No comments:

Post a Comment