Friday, January 25, 2013

Great Ways to De-Stress at Work


The work place is where we spent a large part of our life. Stress can creep up on most of us, but there are effective methods that can be used to de-stress at work, without having to pay hundreds of pounds to a professional counsellor.
Take The Load Off By Communicating
If you feel that you have too much load on your shoulders, it is reasonable to request assistance. The workplace is about work, so whenever you feel that your working environment is taking over your private space, it is time to communicate your concerns to a colleague or manager.
From personal experience, before I began freelance writing, I worked for The Council for Voluntary Services. There were many staff absences and I was asked to do far more work than my job grade. However, I like to be reliable and I helped as best I could, until one day I learnt that the management did not value my efforts. I cried for hours that night wondering what I should do, as I had a mortgage to pay.
Tossing and turning with too much on my mind, I finally put my heart and soul into an email and sent it to my manager. We agreed to meet the following day. She was lovely. She knew I had a lot of stress on my shoulders, especially since my property was part of a compulsory purchase. However, after three months of stress leave, I finally quit, and it was the best decision I have ever made.
Tap Away The Stress With Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)
Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) is a form of acupressure. Whenever a problem arises in your consciousness, the belief is that by tapping certain points on the body, the problem will gradually subside. I’m a fairly anxious person and EFT does work. I’ve also watched EFT practitioners mention that tapping in positive thoughts also works effectively. Watch a demonstration in this video. EFT Fast Stress Release.
Get Some Fresh Air
Getting out into the fresh air is a great way to de-stress the mind and body. Anxiety can be felt in the gut of our stomach, and often this arises through shallow breaths. Use the whole of your lungs to breathe in oxygen through the nostrils, expand the abdomen, and then release this breath through the mouth. Try to maintain this cycle of breath.
Oxygen is necessary for the body, which is why shallow breaths deplete our oxygen levels and make us feel anxious and stressed. When you are out in the fresh air, the sound of the birds chirping and the ongoing traffic will bring you back to the present moment, whilst deferring your worries away from the past or future.
Maintain a Healthy Diet
The statement “you are what you eat” is tantamount to the way we feel. When we nourish our bodies with healthy, nutritious food, we feel more energetic and our mood elevates. Try to stick to foods that will balance your blood sugar levels. Snack on nuts, seeds and cacao nibbles (very dark raw chocolate).

No comments:

Post a Comment