Thursday, June 30, 2016

A Review Of The Nostalgia Electrics Microwave Oven

I love beautiful, unique things, especially those that are vintage or retro. I absolutely love the recent trend towards designing appliances to look like they were made in the 1950s. The specific style is referred to as mid-century modern, a design style that focuses on smooth, futuristic looking shapes. Circles and rounded accents were used often and added chrome was always a plus. This is where Nostalgia Electrics took its design inspiration from when making its new line of microwave ovens. I had to know if are these new appliances are all looks or if they deliver all the modern conveniences we have come to expect in a good microwave oven. I decided to try the Nostalgia Electrics RMO-400RED for a period of four weeks so that I could write a review for anyone interested in this microwave oven.

The model I choose, RMO-400RED, is the red version. This was based purely on personal preference. All the Nostalgia Electrics models are identical in all things except for the color. So consider this a review of any of the four models offered by Nostalgia Electrics. The four colors available at this time are black, red, pale blue and white. The first three options cost about $120; the white model costs more at this time.

I excitedly unpacked my new Nostalgia Electrics microwave oven. First, I must say that this microwave oven is absolutely beautiful, even more so than I expected from the pictures. The glossy red finish is gorgeous. The chrome accents sparkle. The handle has a solid, well-constructed feel to it. I personally prefer a handle to a push-button door opener. I think it lends a more high-end feel and also leads to less problems with malfunctioning down the road. The old-fashioned dial feels sturdy and not cheap at all.

I started out by making popcorn. The unit was quiet and popped the popcorn perfectly. There were very few unpopped kernels and no burnt ones. This model is 800 watts; less than I am accustomed to. Because of this, it did take a little longer to complete the popcorn, but I think I can wait an extra 40 seconds for my snack.

I found the controls to be intuitive and very easy to use. I actually find them faster and easier to use than the modern looking keypad controls found on most models. The biggest downside to this model that I noticed during the review period is its diminutive size. One thing I regularly use my microwave oven for is defrosting large pieces of frozen meat, such as a whole chicken. There just isn't enough room for that in this model. I also found it to be too small for large family sized casseroles that I normally keep pre-made in the freezer for a ready-to-go dinner. Because of this, I moved the Nostalgia Electrics microwave oven from my home to my office halfway through the review period.

http://bakingreview.com/breville-bov450xl-mini-smart-oven-with-element-iq/

Everyone in my office loved this microwave oven. The size and power are perfect for individual lunches and heating water for beverages, which are the two things done most often when it comes to cooking in our office. There had been a bigger model there originally; this unit freed up some counter space, which we all appreciated.

Overall, I really do like this microwave oven. I think it is a perfect addition to my office and it will stay there. However, this is a somewhat compact microwave oven and as such may not be well-suited to large families. Pay close attention to the size if you are interested in this model. See how it measures up to microwave ovens you have used in the past. Some people love a smaller unit because it doesn't use up as much counter space. Most compact microwave ovens have a cheap feel to them; this model does not. So if a small unit is what you need, this may be the right choice for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment