Thursday, June 30, 2016

A Review Of The Panasonic Prestige NN-SD688S 1.2 Cubic Foot 1300 Watt Sensor Microwave Oven

I recently tried out the Panasonic Prestige NN-SD688S 1.2 cubic foot 1300 watt sensor microwave oven for a period of two weeks. I did this so that I could provide an in-depth review to anyone considering purchasing this model. I banished my normal microwave oven to storage and used this Panasonic model instead for the duration of the review period. I did this so that I would get a clear idea of how this unit performs with regular usage. Here is my review.

This Panasonic Prestige microwave oven will cost you less than $150, including the shipping. That is low to mid range as far as price goes; expectations for this model should be formed accordingly. I removed my new appliance from the box. I was pleasantly surprised by the solid and sleek high-end look. This model looks like it costs a lot more than it does. It has a stainless steel finish and is controlled by a stainless steel dial and push buttons, rather than the usual plastic-clad keypad. The buttons have a very solid feel to them when pushed, adding to the more expensive feel of this product. The see-through window is dark and reflective when not in use. This unit is somewhat large; it has 1.2 cubic feet of interior space and comes equipped with a 13 inch turntable. This Panasonic model offers a multi-lingual display readout with choices for English, Spanish and French.

I researched this model to see if there were any problems or issues I should look out for. One complaint kept popping up: the display is impossible to read unless you bend down and view it straight on. This problem seems to have been resolved by Panasonic. The display is now easy to read from all angles and across the room.

I love popcorn and use my microwave often for popping it. This model gives you three different options for bag size to choose from to ensure the popcorn is perfectly cooked. It is also equipped with moisture sensors which aid in proper popcorn popping. These two features, along with the power of 1300 watts, lead to great popcorn. Almost all the kernels were popped every time and I never had burnt pieces. The moisture sensors also work well for other items, such as vegetables or leftovers. This microwave knows exactly when the food is done by measuring the moisture levels.

http://bakingreview.com/breville-bov450xl-mini-smart-oven-with-element-iq/

This model boasts inverter technology and inverter turbo defrost. The maker claims this leads to more even cooking and thawing. What is inverter technology? I checked out Panasonic's website and read all the information that came with the microwave oven. Everything just stated that inverter technology cooks more evenly, but not how or why. So I called the company. I was told that when most microwaves run they alternate between 100% power and 0% power. A microwave set to 50% power just splits the time evenly between 100% power and 0% power. This can lead to accidentally cooking portions of your food during a thaw. Inverter technology allows for a true and constant power reduction, where the unit is able to run at 50% power through the entire heating cycle. Does it work? Yes! That is one of my favorite features on this microwave oven. It properly thaws food without actually cooking it.

This microwave does everything you need a microwave to do and it does it fast. I had to adjust all my cooking times during the review period to account for the shorter cooking times. I am accustomed to a 1000 watt model and this 1300 watt Panasonic microwave oven cooks things approximately 25% faster. This model also has a delay start setting which I like very much. I can get everything ready ahead of time and the microwave will turn on when I need it to.



No comments:

Post a Comment